Cast of Characters

LifeWife - My dear sweet wife

D1 - my eldest Daughter
C - D1's Companion

D2 - my middle Daughter
S1 - First Son-in-Law -D2's Husband
GS1 - my first grandson, offspring of D2 & S1

D3 - my youngest Daughter
S2 - Second Son-in-Law -D3's Husband

GuruBri - my brother
BigSis - my big sister
LadyJudy - my little sister

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Illumination

I may have mentioned that I am father to three amazing women. I am also a grandfather.

I have to tell you  though that GS1 and I did not always get along. Hey, I was perfectly willing to  be nice and to hug and cuddle and kiss him, but strangely enough it seemed that  whenever he saw me he would burst into tears! Strange, I know! Hard to believe ain't it?

So I decided that I had two options open to me, one would be to try to convince him that  I was a nice guy and he didn't need to scream hysterically whenever he saw me. But that would involve too much face time, me terrifying the little guy over and over again, and somehow the dubious benefits seemed outweighed by the damage to my ear drums. Plus potentially emotionally scarring him for life!

The other approach was basically to let him see me but to make no approaches to him at all, let him observe the interactions I would have with the people that he had a positive interaction with. Then, hopefully, over time, he would come to see that I'm not such a bad guy after all. Our family trip to the Dominican back in April really helped with this, probably because he saw me every day. Since then he slowly warmed up to me.

I am incredibly delighted to be able to say that when he sees me now a big smile lights up his face, matched only by the resultant joy and delight I feel on seeing him react to me that way.


Hey Grandpa, isn't this just SO MUCH FUN!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pics! He definitely loves his Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful...John, our Dad was a wonderful grandfather...looks like you are following in that blessed tradition...what a delight to see these awesome pics...

    ReplyDelete